Thursday, March 22, 2007

Margaret Reynold's Sappho Companion




Margaret Reynold's Sappho Companion
Begin: 03/14/07
End: 03/21/07
Quality: Eight Out of Ten.
Reason: Unread.
Genre: Literary History.
Original Language: English.
Date of Publication: 2002
Fog Index:13/50% are harded.
Flesch Index: 57/61% are harder.
Flesch-Kincaid Index: 10.7/47% are harder.
Complex Words: 11%/68% have more.
Number: First.

I didn’t really know what to expect on receiving this book. I had assumed that it would have more to do with Sappho’s actually poetry. It’s not to say that I did not enjoy it. It’s not to say that I didn’t learn quite a bit. It’s just that I was expecting more about Sappho and her work and the book seemed to me to be primarily concerned with the influence of Sappho down throughout the years. I also found that many times Reynolds writing about different pieces of literature was far more interesting than my actually going ahead and reading them I. She has a way of making some of the more boring works to be fascinating.

And this book really just makes me want to read Sappho more. I don’t really have any works by Sappho other than what was found in this volume as well as stuff in a few anthologies.

No comments: