Tuesday, March 27, 2007

William Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra



William Shakespeare’s Antony and Cleopatra
Begin: 03/23/07
End: 03/26/07
Quality: Six Out of Ten.
Reason: Reading Plan.
Genre: Drama. Fiction.
Original Language: English.
Date of Publication: 1623.
Fog Index:15.5/28% are harder.
Flesch Index: 43.1/36% are harder.
Flesch-Kincaid Index: 12.4/30% are harder.
Complex Words: 18%/35% have more complex words.
Number: Three.

Okay. First of all, I couldn’t get the images of Elizabeth Taylor as Cleopatra and Richard Burton as Antony out of my head. The movie Cleopatra dominated my entire reading of this play. All the actions of the play were completely imagined as parts of that movie. I kept trying to stop it but when I could get those images out, the actors from Rome would come up. I couldn’t fucking win.

I don’t really think I had the attention span to read this at the moment. I mean I got the basic plot but I know that I missed a significant portion of the story. I never really knew how to read Cleopatra or Antony or Octavius. It was very unclear to me their motivations.

“The breaking of so great a thing should make/a greater crack. The round world/Should have shook lions into civil streets/and citizens to their dens. The death of Antony/is not a single doom; in the name lay/a moiety of the world.” (Act V:i)

No comments: