Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Dante Alighieri's Paradiso



Dante Alighieri's Paradiso
Begin: 04/09/07
End: 04/18/07
Quality: Seven Out of Ten.
Reason: Reading Plan.
Genre: Classics. Epic Poetry. Italian Literature.
Original Language: Italian.
Date of Publication: 1314.
Fog Index: 11.5/63% are harder.
Flesch Index: 64.4/73% are harder.
Flesch-Kincaid Index: 8.8/66% are harder.
Complex Words: 10%/71% have more complex words.
Number: Once?
Synopsis: Beatrice gives Dante a tour of the Heavens.
Thoughts:

I never really have a problem with getting through the Inferno. Purgatory is a little tougher but I can do it but Paradiso is always insanely tough for me to complete. I like hearing the stories of the sinners but paradiso is just chocked full of far too much medieval theology and cosmology and it makes it extremely tough for me to get through as a result.

I am not even sure what to make of it. I really understood the set-up of hell and purgatory but getting my mind around ptomleic astronomy was extremely difficult. The spheres of the heavens were just not as simple to imagine as the circle of hell or the terraces of purgatory. And Dante and Beatrice just kept on talking some much damn theology.

I still gave it a seven because it is one of the classics of western literature but maybe next time I will stop reading as soon as Dante get's to the top of purgatory cause I just can't make it into paradiso.

No comments: