Monday, April 9, 2007

Matthew Rettenmund's Boy Culture




Matthew Rettenmund’s Boy Culture
Begin: 04/04/07
End: 04/08/07
Quality: Five Out of Ten.
Reason:. Random.
Genre: Confessional. Fiction. Queer Theory.
Original Language: English.
Date of Publication: 1995.
Fog Index: 9.4/74% are harder.
Flesch Index: 65.5/76% are harder.
Flesch-Kincaid Index: 7.7/72% are harder.
Complex Words: 9%/75% have more complex words.
Number: Never.

First, I have a confession about this book. I totally bought it because Jesse Archer is going to be in the movie version and I am a little into him right now.
He’s half my crush and half my idol right now. Hey! I’m allowed to be a crazy girl sometimes too!

I really loved this book in the beginning. I mean, I was eating it up. I really connected to the character of X. His viewpoint was startling close to mine.
Cynical, funny, witty, perceptive. It’s what I feel that I am. I was a little concerned that I have such a deep connection with whores and strippers. The story progressed and I felt less and less of that connection as his character developed and grew.

It was a realistic arc for his character but I was still disappointed. I felt that it started out fresh and honest and enlivening to me but ended up like every other prostitute story. I didn’t want Pretty Women with some fags thrown in!

I also had an aversion to the sex scenes. I read a lot of erotica, a lot. I live for it.
The sex though wasn’t that hot to me. I had a hard time believing some of it. I mean full anal at 13? Come on now? My willing suspension of disbelief isn’t that strong. Or maybe that does happen and I just missed out. I really don’t know.
And can I just mention how disgusting and vile barebacking is to my mind? Can we completly disregard the looming health crisis on the last three, count them, three decades. I realize it's just a story and it got across a level of trust but fuck that! Wrap it up, mother fuckers!!!

The sex index in the back is pretty funny.

It was also extremely quotable. Hence the page and half of quotes I culled from it. Enjoy. I’m on to People with Paper.

“In that moment of utter surrender to adulation, to desiring perfect, vicarious, romantic deification, I understood what it is to be a gay man. It’s all about intensity.” (17)

“Sex is really so unattractive. It’s all so ugly, I can hardly discuss it.” (19)

“I felt for him, and I thought that to make him feel better, I should feel him up. He’d feel much better very soon, and younger and less useless….if only for an hour or so. But isn’t that always the way? What do you think sleeping around is all about anyway?” (27)

“Lust works in mysterious ways...Attraction is chance.” (30)

“Actually, “manhood” is a pretty canny term. I still call it a dick or a dick or a prick, but “manhood” comes much closer to conveying the complex array of emotions that find their gathering point in the penis, and that compel such foolhardy souls as I to worship that member in a way that embarrasses us in our more rational, guarded moments.” (33)

“Coming isn’t the decisive factor in what you find pleasurable.” (37)

“Anal sex is so abstract. It’s not at all like any novice would ever be able to imagine it. It’s not necessarily messy or bloody (please!), and more than anything, it doesn’t have to hurt one bit. If there is a single part of your being that resents the intrustion, it will hurt proportionally. If you are completely physically and mentally and emotionally prepared, it’s blissfully proportionately. It’s a delicious severance from yourself, a deliverance from that feeling of abdominal guardedness. The tightness goes away (though hopefully not completely) and you are left basking in utterly defenseless relaxation. What could be sexier? Sex isn’t about intensity of physical stimulation, but about degree of abandon. The extent to which you can let yourself go.” (44)

“’You can’t have your cake and eat it, too.”
“Why not? Whoever made up that rule was born bitter” (121)

“I don’t understand why guys are so willing to fuck around. It seems to devalue your body to pass it around so freely, you know. I mean, I have a lot of sex, but none of it unless I’m being paid for it.” (125)

“Everyone lies, but you only lie about certain things to certain people. You don’t lie about everything to a person. Unless, of course, it’s a person of no consequence.” (161)

No comments: