Thursday, September 6, 2007

Ernest Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises




Ernest Hemingway’s The Sun Also Rises
Begin: 09/03/07
End: 09/05/07
Quality: Six out of Ten.
Reason: Reading Plan.
Genre: Fiction.
Original Language: English.
Date of Publication: 1926
Fog Index: N/A
Flesch Index: N/A
Flesch-Kincaid Index: N/A
Complex Words: N/A
Number: First.
Synopsis: This story is about a group of expatriates who go down to Spain for a holiday. The main story centers on the narrator Jake Barnes.
Thoughts: I didn’t like it as much as I felt that I would or that I think that perhaps I should. Don’t get me wrong, it was good, it just wasn’t knock me down amazing and that’s what I want in a book. I want it to knock me the fuck over and me so amazed and flabbergasted that it’s all I can talk about. I didn’t get that here.

The Lost Generation aspect of the novel was also interesting. I not only just finish Honor A history which dealt with the repercussions of world war I but I have also heard that the lost generation is the closet in temperament to my own generation. I am not sure if I could see it here but it is interesting to think about.

Here's a great quote.

I'll Just talk around it. You know I feel rather damned good, Jake."
"You should"
"You know it makes one feel rather good deciding not to be a bitch."
"Yes."
"It's sort of what we have instead of God."
"Some people have God," I said. "Quite a lot"
"He never worked very well with me."
"Should we have another Martini?"

No comments: