Thursday, September 20, 2007

William Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew




William Shakespeare’s Taming of the Shrew
Begin: 09/14/07
End: 09/20/07
Quality: Four out of Ten.
Reason: Reading Plan.
Genre: Drama.
Original Language: English.
Date of Publication: 1593
Fog Index: 8.8/82% are harder
Flesch Index: 66.5/77% are harder
Flesch-Kincaid Index: 6.2/55% are harder
Complex Words: 13%/55% have more.
Number: Fifth?
Synopsis: I think the title bears it out very well. The basic story (ignoring the opening induction) is that Baptista has two daughters. One of them is a bitch and the other is a beauty. He refuses to let Bianca(the beauty) be courted until Kate(the bitch) is married off. Biance’s would be courtiers then find a suitor for Kate. Petruchio accepts the challenge, mainly because he wants a rich wife. He ends up marrying Kate and “tames” her. Bianca is then married off to Lucentio.
Thoughts: I have such a love/hate relationship with this play. I have always really liked the beginning and then it annoys me. I don’t want Kate to be tamed. I like when she’s a shrewish bitch. It’s funny. And it just doesn’t ever make sense to me that by refusing to let her sleep or eat, Petruchio would “tame” her. I am not even going to get into her monologue at the end of the play.

No comments: