Friday, November 9, 2007

Dana Gioia's Can Poetry Matter?


Dana Gioia’s Can Poetry Matter?
Begin: 11/06/07
End: 11/09/07
Quality: Four out of Ten.
Reason: Unread.
Genre: Non-Fiction, Literary Criticism. Essays.
Original Language: English.
Date of Publication: 1992.
Fog Index: N/A
Flesch Index: N/A
Flesch-Kincaid Index: N/A
Complex Words: N/A
Number: First
Synopsis: This is actually a collection of essays concerning poetry and the state of poetry today.
Thoughts: Well, I really liked the first essay, “Can Poetry Matter?” quite a bit. I thought it was well written, engaging and productive. Gioia not only critics the state of modern poetry but he comes up with solutions to work out the problems. I also liked some of the other essays but towards the end, I found myself really not giving a damn. I am not sure if it was because I was tired or what but there you have it.

No comments: