Monday, November 26, 2007

Katharine Dunn's Geek Love


Katherine Dunn’s Geek Love
Begin: 11/19/07
End: 11/27/07
Quality: Eight out of Ten.
Reason: Unread. Jeremy Recommended.
Genre: Fiction. Contemporary Fiction.
Original Language: English.
Date of Publication: 1989.
Fog Index: 7.6/88% are harder.
Flesch Index: 74.9%/89% are harder.
Flesch-Kincaid Index: 5.9/87% are harder.
Complex Words: 7%/89% have more.
Number: First.
Synopsis: It is basically two stories. We have the story of our narrator’s childhood, growing up in a traveling circus where her parents have attempted to create freaks in their children by using drugs and radiation. The second story takes place in the present time with the narrator and her taking care of both her daughter and her mother, unbeknownst to them.
Thoughts: I really liked it overall. I mean it was pretty perverse and bizarre but that is the kind of shit that I really like. I thought that the story that takes place in the modern day was weak. It was not at all what I expected it to be. When I first had heard about it, I thought it was going to be the story of two geeks falling in love rather than about a family carnival business. Then when I started reading it, I was not at all prepared for the deviousness of Arturo or the love that Oly seemed to have for him despite all of the bullshit that he was doing. Overall, though, a really good story.

No comments: