Monday, November 5, 2007

Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon





Marion Zimmer Bradley’s Mists of Avalon
Begin: 10/26/07
End: 11/05/07
Quality: Ten out of Ten.
Reason: Reading Plan.
Genre: Fiction. Fantasy. Feminist Retellings. Arthurian Literature. Women Studies.
Original Language: English.
Date of Publication: 1979.
Fog Index: 10.2/71% are harder.
Flesch Index: 72.2/86% are harder.
Flesch-Kincaid Index: 8.1/70% are harder.
Complex Words: 6%/91% are harder.
Number: Fourth?
Synopsis: Well, this is simply a feminist retelling of the Arthurian saga. It’s main points of reference are the women around Arthur but mainly Morgaine, his sister.
Thoughts: Fucking brilliant, just simply brilliant. I love this story. I mean it’s definitely Wiccan and feminist propaganda but I still love it, despite that. It’s such a heart breaking story as you watch these character do what is in their nature to do and watch as it makes them suffer. Brilliant. And I can’t tell you how much I would love to sit down and have tea and conversations with Talisien or Vivienne or Morgaine. I am just so in love. Or go and be schooled in Avalon. I thought it was weird that it seemed that both Igraine and Vivienne had been lovers of Uther in the past. And I guess that’s all I have to say. Oh, that and this is a perfect book for the Halloween season.

No comments: