Monday, February 19, 2007

Majorie Garber and Nancy J. Vicker's Medusa Reader

Majorie Garber and Nancy J. Vicker's Medusa Reader
Began: 2/06/07
End: 02/14/07
Quality: Eight Out of Ten.
Reason: Medusa!
Genre: Criticism. Culturual Studies. Art History. Mythology.
Number: First.
Thoughts:

I don't know why I thought this book was going to be one complete anaylsis of the Medusa myth. I was a little dispointed, I have to admit, that it was an anthology. I have been eyeing it
on amazon.com for quite some time. That being said, I have to say that I really enjoyed it. I mean a lot. It did take me a while to get through it. I breeze through a number of the opening stuff because it was the usual slew of greek classics that I have already read before but some of the medieval writings as well as some of the academic writings were a little tough. They weren't bad. Well, not all of them anyway. Louis Marin's Head of Medusa was rather pointless to me as was the piece about Freud's Office.
I learned quite a bit. I was inspired and I do believe I fell in love with Medusa all over again. I was kinda hoping they were going to have something about Wonder Woman vs. Medusa but it was written a few years before that epic battle so I should not be surprised by the absence there.

I think I also reading need to write out, to work out, to sketch and deduce my own feelings towards the medusa at some point in the very near future. I have never really fully developed my ideas. I am also going to have to use this work as a reference and get much more of the writing that is only partially shown here. I especially liked Emily Erwin Culpepper's Ancient Gorgons and Helene Cixous's The Laugh of the Medusa. I also got really exicted because both Monique Wittig and Audre Lorde were mentioned. I also found the part about the connection between Medusa and Lesbians rather fascinating. Lot's of stuff to work out and think about, to refine in my own thinking, to chisel down to a fine blade of thought.

No comments: