Monday, February 26, 2007

Mark Z. Danielewski's Only Revolutions

Mark Z. Danielewski's Only Revolutions
Begin: 02/22/07
End:N/A
Quality: One Out of Ten.
Reason: Unread. Danielewski.
Genre: Fiction; literary fiction
Number: First.
Thoughts:

hated it. I couldn't even get through it. Yuck. I thought it would be good. I thought it would be interesting. I thought, well, that it wouldn't suck.

I guess I should attempt to explain why it was so difficult to get through it. Every page contains upside-down text in the bottom margin and right side text in the top margin so the first page of Hailey's story also contains the last page of Sam's story upside down. Each page also contains a sidebar with a date and lists of world events. Their is a publisher's note that recommends reading eight pages of one then eight pages of the other story.

I got about 100 pages through each story before giving up on it. I just had trouble following it. It was written in this prose-verse form that while had a line or two that was poetical or inspiration, still was confusing.
I liked the idea of the book but I felt that the book itself was severely lacking.

No comments: