Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Herbert Mason's Translation of the Epic of Gilgamesh



Gilgamesh
Begin: 1/21/08
End: 1/24/08
Quality: Nine out of Ten.
Reason: Unread.
Genre: Epic. Summerian Literature. Ancient Literature.
Original Language: Akkadian.
Date of Publication: 7th Century B.C.
Fog Index: 12.2/57% are harder.
Flesch Index: 61.4/69% are harder.
Flesch-Kincaid Index: 9.3/61% are harder.
Complex Words: 12%/64% have more.
Number: First.
Synopsis: This is an ancient Epic that concerns Gilgamesh and his friend Enkidu and their adventures and then Gilgamesh’s reaction to Enkidu’s death.
Thought: I had always heard that this had a big influence on the writing of the Torah. I can see it a little bit but I was expecting it to be more in line with the Torah. I still enjoyed it. It was not like anything that I could have predicted. I still enjoyed it.

I was surprised by the situation between Inanna and Gilgamesh. How he pretty much called her out on her shit.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. The translation was really tight and the story very mesmerizing. I wish now that I had not gotten an abridged version but I will have to correct that at some point in the near future.

No comments: